A brief description of what each font is best suited for is provided however are not limited to this.
There are some top free cool fonts that are downloadable in this collection and some that come with your operating system… the others are not so free but they sure will help you improve your typography! They include original PC, Mac and Truetype fonts.
15 Serif FontsWhat does serif mean?
1. Adobe CaslonMagazines, journals, text books, corporate communication.
2. Adobe GaramondTextbooks and magazines
3. BemboPosters, packaging, textbooks.
4. BodoniHeadlines, text, logos. (I couldn’t get big preview for this font.)
5. ClarendonDictionaries and headlines.
6. CourierTabular materials, technical documentation, word processing.
7. ExcelsiorNewsletters, Reports, Proposals.
8. LucidaLow resolution printing, small point sizes, reversed out half tones.
9. MinionLimited edition books, newsletters, packaging.
10. PerpetuaFor displays with fine lettering, long pages of text, chiseled text.
11. SabonBooks and corporate communication.
12. Stempel SchneidlerFor displays and fine publications that need a legible text type.
13. Times New RomanNewspapers, magazines, corporate communication.
14. TrajanBooks, magazines, posters, billboards, anything to do with the ages or religion.
15. WalbaumMagazines, journals, text books, corporate communication.
15 Sans-Serif FontsWhat does sans-serif mean?
1. Akzidenz GroteskLarge Signage, all purpose for print media.
2. AvenirFor books with large amounts of text
3. Bell CentennialFor listings and very poor printing conditions.
4. Bell GothicFor very small amounts of text that contains large amounts of information.
5. DINFor signage, posters and displays.
6. Franklin GothicNewspapers and where available space is limited.
7. FrutigerLarge signage, all purpose font for print media.
8. FuturaLarge displays, small text in books.
9. Gill SansSignage, all purpose font for print media.
10. HelveticaLarge or small text, all purpose type figure.
11. MetaText, number, especially corporate communication.
12. MyriadLarge displays, all purpose media.
13. Trade GothicNewspapers and classified ads, advertising, multimedia.
14. UniversPackaging, signage, text books.
15. Vag RoundedInstruction manuals and print advertising.
Source: From the book “30 Essential Typefaces for a Lifetime” by Imin Pao and Joshya Berger. A history of typography is also found in this book as well as more information on each font and the designer.
|About The Author|