The reason why I am talking in length and enjoying writing on this topic is that I own a dog with the name Spike who has actually made me learn a lot. I being a freelancer am glad to get to see my dog’s small gestures; the way she enters the room waving her tail, comes and sits besides me, stare at me continuously while I am having something. Ohh I just love each and every gesture of him.
1. Stick To A Schedule
2. Be Persistent
Being persistent in what you want and trying your level best is one important lesson which dogs make you learn. Don’t give up when no one hearing initially. Ask for the reason why the person on other end is saying no to hire you for project or whatever you are trying for. Try different angles and ways to get the desired outcome. Even if you don’t get that project or deal, you will at least know what went wrong and can improve upon.
3. Say No To Multi-Tasking
4. Make the Most of Every OpportunityDogs never ever gives up! Angel knows who can give her something to eat and keeps moving around the person and in return many times gets something. When guests are at home, she knows that its time to make the most of the opportunity and get good stuff to eat. All you freelance designers should also make sure not to waste any opportunity. You never know things might work out if you grab the opportunities that knock your door.
5. Do What You LoveNo one can motivate Angel to do anything she doesn’t love to do. She will do it once or twice but will not continue for long and does everything she loves to do. This is one great lesson, we all can learn that is to do what we love and don’t do anything just for the heck of it. If you are getting a feeling that a particular project is not what you would want to, don’t do it instead be humble to say no and ask for something that you would love to do.
6. Be CuriousResearch shows that people who are curious tend to have a greater sense of meaning in life. Also, curiosity has been linked to psychological well-being and it tends to help expand the knowledge and skills.
7. Give Your Best Shot
8. Work Comes FirstOver the years, I have noticed, if Angel has her food right in front of her and she is having it at the same time, if the door bell rings, she will go straight to the door to see who is it, then come back and have her food. Seeing her at this time makes me learn no matter how tempted I am to watch television, talk to a friend over the phone, sleep or do anything but work, I should not go for it when I am working. Duty comes first is the lesson which I have learnt from Angel.
9. Speak For YourselfNo one comes to know what you want till you speak up. Dogs are smart and know how to get what they want. They don’t have tongue as we have then also they know how to speak for themselves (if you understand). We all have the same tendency. For example, if you are waiting for the payment to be done by the client and its not being done, there is no harm in asking in a subtle manner. Similarly, if you have some problem in handling any project tell the clients directly. Likewise there are many cases which ask us to speak for ourselves.
10. Stay FocusedThis is a key tip for each one of us. Whatever we do, we should have a clear aim and should be focused. Hold a cookie in your hand and keep moving your hand here and there, your dog will not move from there till he gets that cookie which he knows is for him. I love the focus which Angel has to get what she desires and her efforts be it jumping or getting up on the bed to get it makes me think how unfocused we human beings are. We know what we desire and wish to achieve our goal but fail to stay focused till we get it.
|About The Author|