1. Bob Coonts Graphic Design Scholarship — Students enrolled in Colorado State University’s College of Liberal Arts are automatically considered for the Bob Coonts award if they are senior level students. The university offers guidance on how to complete your application. Additional scholarships are available through the university which are aimed toward helping graphic design majors cover their costs.
2. California College of the Arts — Students planning to attend this California college will find that numerous scholarship opportunities are available to them. Some scholarships are for graphic design students only while others are listed as “open” which means you can apply for these as well.
3. Cal Poly Graphic Communications Scholarships — Students who plan to attend California Polytechnic State University (Cal Poly) and major in Graphic Communications which includes design, have their choice of numerous scholarship opportunities thanks to the generosity of dozens of Cal Poly donors.
4. Graphic Communications Scholarship, Award and Career Advancement Foundation — Open to New York City metro students who are majoring in graphic communications. Foundation awards are sponsored by corporations, associations and individuals.
5. Macy’s Scholarships Endowment in Memory of Rudolph V. Javosky — Cincinnati’s College of DAAP (Design, Architecture, Art and Planning) offers a number of scholarships annually including this fund which honors a designer who headed up Federated Department Stores (Macy’s) construction department for nearly two decades. Several scholarships in varying amounts are awarded annually.
6. Miami International University of Art & Design — New students who enter the university with a GPA of 2.5 or higher and demonstrate a financial need are eligible for quarterly awards. Award stays in effect as long as a GPA of 2.5 or higher is maintained throughout college.
7. NEA John Renna Art Scholarship — Corcoran College students are eligible to apply to a scholarship funded by the National Endowment for the Arts (NEA) thanks to the generous contribution of funds given to it by the estate of John Renna. Five full or half tuition scholarships are awarded annually based on academic achievement and financial need.
8. Raleigh Hunter Scholarship in Visual Design — Students planning to attend North Carolina State University can apply to receive a $2500 scholarship offered by Hunter Publishing Company. A separate fellowship and additional scholarship opportunity is also available through the College of Design.
9. The Alliance For Young Artists & Writers — This website offers a good list of college scholarship opportunities from a variety of sources. Multiple awards with millions of dollars granted annually.
10. Visual Communication and Design Scholarships — Students enrolled at Indiana University — Purdue University (IPFW) can apply for as many as four different scholarships for visual and graphical design students. Most scholarships are offered to students who are sophomore year or higher and maintain a 3.0 GPA.
Most scholarship programs reopen their application period in the fall running through the winter months or into early spring. Awards are generally announced late spring or early summer, well before the upcoming academic year begins.
|About The Author|